Data Privacy Day
Data Privacy Day is an international effort led by the National Cyber Security Alliance (NCSA) in the U.S. to create awareness about the importance of "Respecting Privacy, Safeguarding Data and Enabling Trust." Data Privacy Day is the signature event of the STOP. THINK. CONNECT. privacy awareness campaign to inspire digital citizens to own their online presence by protecting their personal information and managing their privacy.
Data Privacy Day's goals are to:
- Raise awareness and educate consumers to better understand how their personal information may be collected and the benefits and risks of sharing personal data
- Empower consumers to express their expectations for the use, protection and management of their personal data
- Inspire consumers through concrete, simple and actionable tips to more actively manage their online lives
- Encourage and motivate consumers to consider the privacy implications of their online actions for themselves and others
- Encourage businesses to be data stewards by being open and honest about how they collect, use and share personal information and clearly communicating any available privacy and security controls
Data Privacy Day began in the United States and Canada in January 2008 as an extension of the Data Protection Day celebration in Europe. Data Protection Day commemorates the January 28, 1981, signing of Convention 108, the first legally binding international treaty dealing with privacy and data protection. Data Privacy Day is now a celebration for everyone, observed annually on Jan. 28.
On Jan. 27, 2014, the 113th U.S. Congress adopted S. Res. 337, a nonbinding resolution expressing support for the designation of Jan. 28 as "National Data Privacy Day."
The National Cyber Security Alliance (NCSA) assumed leadership of Data Privacy Day from the Privacy Projects in August 2011. A nonprofit, public-private partnership dedicated to cybersecurity education and awareness, NCSA is advised by a distinguished advisory committee of privacy professionals.
View EDUCAUSE webinar: How to own your online presence infographic.
UITS/Office of Information Security will host webinars for Data Privacy Day on January 25th in the TSYS Center for Cyber Security - CCT125 from 1:00 pm to 5:30 pm.
View the EDUCAUSE webinar Student Privacy in Higher Education: What Next?
Data Privacy Day 2018 Live Stream will be held in the TSYS Center of Cyber Security - CCT125
Data Privacy Day is an international effort held annually on Jan. 28 to create awareness about the importance of respecting privacy, safeguarding data and enabling trust.
On Thursday, Jan. 25, the National Cyber Security Alliance will mark Data Privacy Day 2018 with an event streamed live from LinkedIn in San Francisco. This event will feature engaging panels, TED-style talks and interviews focusing on the latest privacy issues you should know about.
2:05 – 2:15 p.m. Five Things You Can Do to Manage Your Privacy Now
2:20 – 2:40 p.m. What You Should Know About The Internet of Me and Your Privacy
3:00 – 4:00 p.m. Broadcast Break
4:05 – 4:30 p.m. Staying Competitive – Why Privacy is Good for Your Business
4:35 – 4:50 p.m. What's an Algorithm Got to Do With It?
4:55 – 5:15 p.m. Balancing Act: Privacy and Innovation
5:20 – 5:35 p.m. Mapping Your DNA and What It Means for Your Privacy
View the LinkedIn webinars on Youtube: Data Privacy Day 2018 – Live From LinkedIn